Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Old Man and the Rocking Chair


People tell me all the time I won't be happy if I retire. "What will you do with yourself?" they say as if they know me. "Sit in a rocking chair, stare out the window and drool" is my usual glib retort.
The sitting in a rocking chair and watching the world go by part is true. I do have a plan, though.
I am thinking that in retirement I will do some of what men did for hundreds of years prior to retirement (of course in those days retirement was a synonym for death). Chop wood, fish, maybe hunt, walk around, mend the fence around my property, build something, grow something, argue with my neighbor, eat, copulate (hopefully), jump in the brook, go into town for supplies, read The Bible (kidding), saddle up my bicycle (in lieu of the horse), write in my journal, and sleep.

Sounds like a pretty full day to me. Call me in twenty-five years and I will let you know how it is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment