Sunday, March 21, 2010

Draw four if you have to and don't complain

I would like to make an observation about contentment. I have done no research and this is my opinion only. If you were to ask most Americans what they feel are the most important things in their life, that which gives them a sense of worth, they would most assuredly say children, God, and their spouse, if they have one. I am pretty certain I have correctly placed them in order of importance. Helping others would also have to be in the top four (hopefully). Think about it. Every time the most successful, driven person is asked about what he or she values most in life the answer is invariably "my children." Never mind the fact that they only spend time with them for two hours every other Sunday. They work hard at success because that is what gives them self worth. While there are many reasons for having children the fact is (if you believe in evolution), it is a fundamental, though bestial law of biology that passing on our DNA is our raison d' etre . My point is, no amount of external forces will bring you happiness if you are not inherently content, so I don't understand why someone like, say, a Donald Trump type, would profess that raising his children is the most important thing in his life (I have read this) because clearly it is not.

If I sound bitter, I am, of course. But that in no way detracts from the validity of my thesis. As is the case for all of my blog entries, my neuroses can never be used to invalidate my theories. And also as with most of my blog entries I have forgotten what my original point was anyway.....Oh yes, the nature of contentment.

I have neither children, nor God in my life. I do have a very loving spouse and contrary to what many people may think they know about me, I have basically devoted my entire life to working with people in need. I feel very deeply that people in the health care field are fulfilling their obligation to help others every day of their lives. That and for two years I volunteered to read for the blind. Technical manuals. Really. So I can, with a straight face, aver that I have two out of four benchmarks for contentment.

Am I content? Maybe not. But neither are a lot of people I know who do have four out of the four above mentioned benchmarks. Here is what I do not understand; People say having kids is the greatest joy in their life. Yet every day people tell me how lucky I am I don't have children. If I did have kids I would say the same thing to my childless friends, I am sure. Do they not see the irony in this? It is true that my DNA will not be passed on and I cannot lean on God for support in this crazy world. I can tell you that while I might be a curmudgeon, that I love to complain, that I respond poorly in certain interpersonal relationships, I love life and I have always lived it to the maximum my body would allow. I am constantly engaging in activities outside my comfort zone. That gives me joy. I enjoy trying to understand people, and I love dissecting behavior even if it is my own that should be forever fixed in a jar of formaldehyde on the pathology side of the cabinet.

So let's be true to ourselves and stop thinking about how green the grass is over there. Don't say to me "what do you have to complain about". I have some issues, though they may be different than yours. I, however, have always made it a point to play the hand I was dealt. I don't know what you are holding, and you don't know what I am holding. It is not my intention to offend any one and I know only six people are playing this hand with me (my known blog readers) so no, I am not talking about you. Maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Did I mention my cabin gives me contentment thus disproving my own theory about external sources of happiness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post Rich. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete