Monday, March 15, 2010

Half Century and Half Baked

I turned fifty this past Sunday. I was lucky enough to spend my birthday dinner surrounded by beautiful women spanning four decades..... and one man. I have never enjoyed hanging out with the guys at a social gathering. It has always been my preference to be with the "girls" talking about anything other than sports (and their kids of course). I really do not give a rat's ass in hell about football, baseball, and golf. That is all men seem to talk about. Especially golf. They think everyone in the world gives a crap about their swing. It has always seemed childish to me when the men are all in the living room, and the women are in the kitchen. It's a party. Let's all hang out together.

Don't get me wrong. Men (including me), need a lot of alone time without the women. I am strictly talking about dinner parties, and social gatherings with couples who are not best friends. Maybe it's that I work with women all day long so that is what I have become used to.

Anyway, we were out Friday night at Brio's with the same group of women (except the sixty year old) and Tammy mentioned to the waiter that it was my fiftieth birthday and I was with three women each from a different decade; 30, 40 and 50 years old. He responded "I hope I can pull that off when I am fifty." Needless to say that made my night. Socializing with women has its perks. They can be as raunchy as men. They are very nurturing. Other men are most certainly envious. And a guy can talk about his feelings with out appearing weak. So thank you to my best friends and to my new neighbors for celebrating with me and for being cool to hang out with. And thank you to the best friend any one could ever hope for, a woman, my wife.

Do not, however, get on these friends' bad side. Then you are screwed....because, you know, women never forget.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Richard, you look good surrounded by all those women!

    ReplyDelete