Saturday, February 20, 2010

Guest Blogger: Venus and Mars in a Traffic Jam


Unable to go to the cabin this weekend since I am on call, we made plans to meet our favorite friends in Philly for dinner. After scurrying out of work as fast as possible, we hit traffic that was stopped dead at the bridge. The bridge had more lanes open to NJ since it was rush hour but the volume going to Philly was five times greater, obviously a sign that all of south Jersey was sick of the snow and was heading for a night out in the city. You'd think that after 27 years of driving together I would have been used to what ensued: "I'm turning around. Nothing is worth this. I told you to leave work earlier" complained Rich.

The NY driver in Rich seems to be genetically hardwired. The cussing and aggressive behavior sets in, even at a dead standstill. My stress level rises instantly as I cringe at every near miss on my car being sideswiped (we took my car since it is small so we figured we could park on the still snow covered streets of Philly). No one can hear Rich reaming out the other drivers except me of course (even when he opens my window thinking the lady to our right will hear him through her closed window).

I went to a fundraiser this week for the American Heart Association which has initiated a national movement, "Go Red for Women," to inspire women to make choices to prevent the number 1 killer in women, heart disease and stroke. A female physician spoke about the role of stress in weight gain in women. Her message about being a caregiver for yourself and adapting and adjusting was her prescription to ensure healthy food choices and fitness.

Adapt and adjust. . .

Back to the traffic jam. For 27 years, I have sat in traffic jams with Rich, either silently trying to be in a different place or trying to help him see that it is one of those things in life that you have to accept and can't control and that stressing out doesn't ever help the situation. Well, that just hasn't worked other than resulting in a fight in addition to the traffic jam. Adapt and adjust. So, I decided to join the fray; "You can't let that Design Lighting truck beat you out to the toll. He was five lengths behind you. That's just not right. Try cutting this guy off to the right since that lane is moving the fastest", I instructed Rich. As traffic started moving and we finally crossed the bridge, Rich said, "That was fun. You were really supportive."
Go figure. I'm glad I've prepared myself for summers on the Thruway, headed to the cabin every weekend. Tammy

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Rich. It is nice to know my sister will be around longer than you since she has learned to adjust and adapt and won't succumb to heart disease. :-)


    Thanks for the post Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a remote possibility that I will be missed so I seek comfort in that.

    ReplyDelete