Friday, December 31, 2010

Single Floor Living

There is something about single floor living.  Except for the apartments I lived in during my college and grad school years I have always lived in multi-floor dwellings.  And now I have noticed something about my morning behavior here at the cabin.  I am not quite sure if it is just the relaxed atmosphere or the fact that my bedroom is on the same level as the "activities" areas of the house.  When I am at home in New Jersey I always wash up and get dressed in street clothes prior to going downstairs and starting my day.  Even on weekends.  The order always is; pee, discuss possibility of morning sex,  wash face and hands, brush teeth (I floss at night), consider sex again, get dressed, agree to have sex later, go downstairs for breakfast.  I was never one to put on a robe and go about my morning business in flannels.

But at the cabin I always just casually wander about in my bed clothes whilst completing my morning routine.  Start the morning fire in my boxers, start the coffee in my boxers, go outside for some firewood in my boxers.  I eat breakfast in my boxers.  Only after we have decided on our days activities do I get dressed.  And I don't think it is just because the cabin  has a more relaxed feel.  When the bedroom is on the same floor as everything else there is no definitive delineation between sleeping and stirring.   Once downstairs, there is no turning back.  That's why the intimacy discussion has lost its sense of urgency.  What effort does it take to just wander back into the bedroom?  No effort at all, that's what.  That's why retired people buy ranchers.  Because by the time they climb back up the stairs they are too spent to do anything about it.

1 comment: