Saturday, May 29, 2010

Karma Chameleon


Well I am not one to believe in Karma or fate (I totally disagree when people say it was meant to be), but after my coincidence today I may become a convert. Two weeks ago Tammy and I met a couple, Troy and Anya, while hiking to Peekamoose Mountain. We had decided to summit the Catskill peaks over 3500 feet and as it turns out so did this couple. We got to talking to them in the trail head parking lot and we exchanged e-mails and promised to stay in touch. Of course we exchanged the obligatory notes vowing to hike together and then I proceeded to forget about the whole affair.

Two weeks later Jeremy (my nephew) and his girlfriend, Cindy, came up for a visit. We took a hike to Giant Ledge (which is quickly becoming my go to hike). There we are enjoying the view while eating our PB and J sandwiches and who should come around the bend but Troy and Anya! "I thought I recognized your hat" he says. What are the odds of meeting the same hikers twice, two weeks apart, in the 700,000 square acre Catskill Park? Way less than meeting up on the linear Appalachian Trail I am sure. Well if this is not a sign from some cosmic force that we were meant to hike with these people then I don't know what would be.

The universe only has to slap me in the face once and I will pay attention. In reality, all seemingly "too unbelievable to be a coincidence" events are indeed just coincidences. You know the saying, if you stick a monkey in front of a keyboard, he will eventually type out all of Shakespeare's works due to random chance and given, say, two billion years. So it is with fate. Given the 6 billion people on Earth and the 10,000 year history of modern society, something, somewhere, is bound to happen to someone, that seems too astonishing to be mere chance. Today it happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment