Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Dear Woody


The team here at "Cabin in the Catskills" is always looking to provide additional value added services to our loyal followers.  So we are pleased to announce a new interactive feature entitled "Ask Woody".  An advice and help column dedicated to the proposition that all people have equal access to get themselves lost or seriously disabled in our public wild lands.

Herewith the first column.  The names have been changed to protect the hapless:


Hi Woody

Tanya, my wife, and I plan to go camping/backpacking this week.

Do you routinely carry a tarp?  What kind?  (How big/where did you get it...) and what length of rope/how many pieces of rope do you carry?

If it is easier to talk over the phone, I will be free most of the day tomorrow.

Thanks.
Darren




Dear Darren,

1.  I do not use a tarp.  I like to sleep in a full tent with four walls and a rain fly.  That way I feel a little more protected from the axe murderers roaming about in the woods. The idea that they will have to first hack their way through two layers of nylon makes me feel that I will have at least a few more seconds to grab the 12" Bowie knife-that I definitely do carry no matter the weight-to defend myself.

View of axe murderer through tent door. 

2.  I do routinely carry fifty feet of standard parachute cord, preferably camo green.  This is available in every outdoor store across America.  It is used primarily to fabricate a trip wire perimeter around your tent to further delay said axe wielding psychopath.  But if you plan on climbing a few cliffs, then pack 60 meters of 10mm dynamic climbing rope for sure.

Regards,

Woody

P.S.  Unfortunately due to the high volume of letters we are not able to reply personally by telephone. 



No comments:

Post a Comment