Thursday, October 27, 2011

I Will Have a Personal Size Veggie Lover's Please.

Once again I find myself scratching my head over the logic of the Republicans' argument that we need someone with business experience yet little or no political experience to run the country.  Would Tastycake Bakery hire a CEO from Chrysler Automobile  to run their company?  No, they would hire someone from Hostess Bakery who has experience in their field.  If experience is necessary (a chief complaint about Obama), then we should only be looking at people with experience in government.  I am quite certain a corporate boardroom has a very different zeitgeist from the halls of Congress.  Herman Cain will be in for quite a shock if he ever has to go up against those guys.  If half want pepperoni, and half want mushrooms, they won't compromise and get a half and half pizza.  They will set up a filibuster until he gives in and is forced to order a plain pizza and nobody will be happy with that.


Which brings me to my second point about using a business model to run government.  Most businesses increase profits by doing everything they can to raise revenue.  Sure, they try to cut the fat, but the goal is always to grow and increase revenues.  Not so the federal government according to the Republicans. They want to shrink and stifle new products provided by the government while decreasing revenue.  A philosophy in diametric opposition to all business models of which I am aware (disclosure, I did poorly in economics in college). So how is someone with business experience better equipped to manage an entity that is nothing like a business? 

This is not to say I don't agree with some of their goals.  I just believe a pizza guy, no matter how much I like listening to him, is not the man for the job.

1 comment:

  1. I like mine with anchovies... That will get their shorts all in a knot...

    ReplyDelete