Monday, January 25, 2010

The Greatest Generation


My Dad was going through his "things" recently (in preparation for his journey on the River Styx perhaps, since as Mark Twain said, "Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company") and he came across some of my old writings. " Why don't you start writing again", he cajoled me in his complimentary yet somehow captious tone. So I did. And silly me, in my excitement, I phoned him to tell him the good news. "Dad", I delightedly informed him, "you know how you said I should start writing again? Well, I started a blog".
"A what?"
"You know, an online diary of my thoughts, activities and innermost musings".
"What do you mean online? Mail it to me".
"No Dad, the point is to share one's thoughts with the world at large. Besides, I am going paperless".
"Oh I hate going on the computer. Hit print and mail it to me, postage due if that is the issue".
"Well, Dad, that kind of defeats the whole purpose of the blog. Have Mom pull it up for you".
"Read it to me then over the phone, Twitter, blogs, I don't get the whole thing. I don't want to get involved in something at this point in my life that I won't be able to master. I can barely read the screen. Besides, you should be worried about making my life easier at this point".
True, and therefore in the spirit of accessibility for all, I read it to him over the phone.
"I don't get it".
"Blogs are supposed to be glib yet insightful, Dad".
Well maybe it needs a little work. Fix it and get back to me".
Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment